Government-subsidised places

Some of our courses have places subsidised by funding from the Victorian and Commonwealth governments under the Skills First program. For government-subsidised places, subsidies apply only to the tuition part of the fee. 

Am I eligible for a government-subsidised training place?

Where government-subsidised places are available in a course, generally you are eligible if you are:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian Permanent Resident (holder of a permanent visa)
  • a New Zealand citizen

and are any of the following:

  • under 20 years of age
  • 20 years and older and ‘upskilling’ by seeking to enrol in a course at a higher level than your existing qualification.

If you are enrolled at a school, you will not be able to receive a government-subsidised training place in one of our courses, unless you are undertaking the course as part of a School-Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship. The Government supports schools in other ways to offer vocational training to their students, so you should discuss all your options with your school.

You can also check what you may be eligible for using the interactive Victorian Skills Gateway Eligibility Indicator.

How many courses am I eligible for?

You are eligible to commence a maximum of two government-subsidised courses at the same qualification level in your lifetime. This restriction applies whether or not you complete the courses. For example, this means if you have already commenced two courses at the Certificate III level, you may only commence courses at the Certificate IV level (or above).

This restriction does not apply to courses on the Foundation Skills List or if you are recommencing training in the same qualification (at the same or a different provider).

Under exceptional circumstances, students may apply for an exemption to the rule allowing only two commencements at the same level, enabling them to enrol in a further qualification at the same level. See the Frequently Asked Questions for information about this. No exemptions are available for any other eligibility criteria.

In addition, eligible students can begin up to two subsidised courses in a year as long as you are not doing any more than two courses at a time.

For further information on eligibility for government-subsidised training, please go to the Department of Education and Training website.

Eligibility for concessions 

Courses below Diploma level

Concessions on tuition fees for government-subsidised training places in courses up to Certificate IV level are available to:

  • Commonwealth Health Care Card holders,and their dependant children and dependant spouses
  • Pensioner Concession Card holders and their dependant children and dependant spouses
  • Veteran's Gold Card holders (but not their dependants).

Indigenous students

Under the Indigenous Completions Initiative, Indigenous students pay only the concession tuition fee for training at any level, including at Diploma level and above.

Further information

See the Department of Education and Training website for more information on concessions.